Saturday, July 2, 2011

Kindergarten

I'm very happy to report that Gracie has been accepted into the special needs 12:1:1 kindergarten class!! This has been a HUGE concern and now a HUGE burden off of my shoulders. As I have previously blogged, I had always planned to homeschool. After the stroke, I knew I would end up having to send her to school for therapy. It broke my heart, absolutely broke it.. Then she not only showed tons of progress, but she just blossomed!! My girl adores school. As a matter of fact, short of a week break this week, she will attend ALL summer long!!

I started to get nervous about kindergarten back in February/March. The district we were living in has very minimal special needs programs. Although Gracie has done above and beyond what any doctor or teacher ever expected, she does still need special help and a careful eye. She still falls a lot, and she still loves to take off and just run when she gets bored. ADHD at it's bests? Nope just a stinking traumatic brain injury. We recently moved back into the district I went to school in ( all those years ago in the Ice Age, LOL)-- and luckily it is bigger and has more funding. We moved late though, and so the CPSE ( Chair person for Special Education) wasn't sure of she'd be able to get Gracie in to the 12:1:1. Which is what she needs--- the special attention on a small class, with an emphasis on continuing to get all of her therapy and learning to play well with others. Gracie still plays by herself more than with other kids. Recently, she has begun to sit near other kids while she plays, and that's a huge step in the right direction. She gravitates to younger children and babies though, or she just sits all by herself to play with something. No interaction with the other kids near her.

Anyway, I got a phone call this week to tell me she was accepted. I'm so excited for her to get the type of education that she needs....also a little sad to see her go off for 7 hours a day....

No comments:

 
Blog Design by Ammupappa