Thursday, May 12, 2011

Sticks and stones...

I can not stand what PEOPLE have done with the English language. I can NOT stand the way words are taken, given a new meaning or a negative connotation and then used to hurt others. I simply can not stand it.
You know that old saying, we all know it, we have all said it at some point, I'm sure!! " Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me!" Usually said in a sing song voice, often by a child who then leaves the room to cry. What does God say about our words?
Proverbs 18:21 " Death and life are in the power of the tongue:"
Luke 6:45- " A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh."

Our words do hurt people, even those who seemingly don't understand. Three weeks ago, Gracie was called a retard. She didn't even hear it, and even if she had, she doesn't know what the word means. I know though. I knew what that child was implying about my little girl. It's in these times that as a parent, we have to just take it in and make it our secret hurt. My flesh wanted to take that child aside and give a little lesson on what the word means. My flesh wanted to find the child's parents and ask them why in the world their child is saying such hateful words!! Thankfully, this was one time that I could not let that flesh win, so I just took it. I realized last night though, that those words were sitting right on top of my heart. I didn't take Gracie back to the class that it happened in for three weeks. That's how the words hurt her. Though she had no idea what was said, she missed out on one of her favorite times of the week three times. In reality, that's MY failure, I know. I'm not mad at that child or the child's parents...just myself and the devil. Me for letting him get to me. And him, just because I hate him!!!
Recently, I posted this on Facebook- "If I could stand in front of an assembly of the entire world, I would ask for just one thing. Be kind. It's not that hard. It doesn't cost anything. We have no idea where that other person's life journey has taken them today. Or where they will go tomorrow. Just be nice. And when you're not, own up to it." I believe that. I attempt to live my life this way. We have no idea how a simple smile might change a person's day. We have no idea when the rashness of our tongue will impact one forever.  

My Gracie is a 4 year old little girl, CHOSEN by God to have the trial of this stroke, for HIS glory.

She can't sit still- but she CAN sit- To God be the glory!!
She can't hop on two feet like other kids, but she can do it one leg at a time- To God be the glory!!
She has to ask the same question over and over before she finally gets it, but she can speak-To God be the glory!!

Oh and by the way, the word retard is a verb...
 Did the stroke retard Gracie's development? Yes, of course it did!! Is SHE a "retard"? No. Simply put, she's a miracle.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Michelle, I should be in bed because we have a long day at St. Jude tomorrow, but I have been captivated by your blog. It is wonderfully written and as a mother I feel your pain. I will pray for you and Grace as you journey through each day. I can "feel" your pain as you write each post. Understanding and trusting God is admirable about I know good and well that it doesn't always make it easier. Much love from another mother.

 
Blog Design by Ammupappa