Thursday, February 25, 2010

Ophthalmology appointment

Well, we woke up this morning to quite a bit of snow on the ground and 2 doctors appointments scheduled. 8 am came and Josiah's doctor called. They were calling all the parents with well visits and canceling, if possible. I was perfectly content with that... I am not much on driving in the snow. I was bound and determined to make sure and get Grace to see the ophthalmologist though. Her appointment was at 2:30, but when I called to make sure that the office was open, the nurse asked if I could come in at 10:15. We decided to take the earlier appointment, warmed up the car, and off we went. Somehow in my rush, I even remembered to call her physical and occupational therapists and let them know that we had a change in plans. (Yes, I am patting myself on the back right now!)
We got to the doctors office (the roads were perfect, by the way) and I was immediately nervous. It was just me, Grace, and the little girl I babysit. I always get bad news when I am alone. Today is also the day (3 years ago now) that I found out my little Lily would have holoprocencephaly. I was alone that day as well, and so it was on my mind. Of course, today, I just didn't want to hear about surgeries or blindness. So, we were sitting in the waiting room and I took a New Testament out of my purse and decided to just flip it open and read a verse. I flipped to 2 Corinthians 1. There in verses 3 and 4 are the words:" 3. Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort;
Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God." Iy was just what I needed...and of course God knew that.
We got back to the exam room and the whole experience started 100 times better than the last time we went to an eye doctor. Of course, we had already seen this doctor and I knew how gentle and patient he is. Gracie took to him right away and did very well. He had to dilate her eyes again, which she hated. The good news though, is that her optical nerve looks great!! He saw NO evidence of cupping, which is what we most concerned about. However, he is concerned about how her eyes are seemingly crossing. He did a bunch of tests and then told me that she is actually favoring her right eye...and barely even using the left. So, we came home with a box of eye patches. She is supposed to wear the patch every day for 2 hours. In a month, we will see how she is doing. She might need surgery down the road, but he will try every other avenue first. I appreciate that greatly.
Pictures of her wearing the patch to come!!

No comments:

 
Blog Design by Ammupappa